Bangkok Day Trips and local tours
5 Best Day Trips from Bangkok
Thailand is a country with infinite possibility for tourists, which is why it remains one of the most loved tourist destinations in the world – and Bangkok its capital is no different. Here is a guide to five of the best day trips that you can take from Bangkok.
1. Kanchanaburi - This town lies near the famous River Kwai or Mae Nam Kwae and is a 3-hour drive from Bangkok. The town was made popular by the bridge that linked Myanmar and Thailand (like the movie Bridge on the River Kwai). Most visitors to this area come for its WWII heritage.
2. Ayutthaya - This is a temple town that lies around 80 kilometres from Bangkok to the North West of the city. This former capital of Thailand has magnificent temples in both the Thai and Khmer styles. There is also a one-day boat trip that one can take to enjoy the splendour of this town.
3. Tiger Temple - About 200 kilometres (3 hours) from Bangkok is the wonderful Wat Pha Luangta Bua Yannasampanno Forest Monastery or the Tiger Temple. This is a nature preserve that houses many animals including tigers that have been rescued from poachers. The temple is open to visitors between 8.30 am and 5 pm everyday.
4. Khao-Yai National Park - This is one of Thailand’s most famous national parks and is around three hours from Khorat. It houses different kinds of wildlife including barking deer, golden gibbon and wild elephants.
5. Floating Market at Damnoen Saduak - The floating market is an ideal way to experience the culture of rural Thailand. It is located around 100 kilometres from Bangkok and includes a ride in a local boat as you cruise past the maze of canoes loaded with various fresh produce and meats.